Garmin Edge 1000 and Edge 520 devices (though currently not the 520 Plus) can use WKO4 individual power levels (iLevels), the newest metric for cyclists and triathletes who train with a power meter. Dr. Andrew Coggan developed the iLevels to be based on each athlete’s unique physiology and current level of fitness.
To set up your Garmin 520/1000 to utilize Coggan iLevels:
- Make sure you're using the latest firmware for your device. If you're using an Edge 1000, you'll need 7.4 or newer; if you're using an Edge 520, you'll need 5.24 or newer.
- Set the zones on your Garmin device to Coggan iLevels.
- Select Menu > My Stats > Training Zones > Power Zones> Based On > watts
- Select Menu > My Stats > Training Zones > Power Zones> Configuration > 9 Coggan iLevels
- Your FTP will be automatically set to your sFTP in WKO4 when you sync your Garmin with WKO4.
To sync your device with WKO4:
- Open WKO4 on your computer.
- Plug in your Garmin device.
- Wait for your device to be recognized and ASSOCIATE YOUR GARMIN DEVICE WITH THE SELECTED ATHLETE. Please note, if you do not associate the device with the athlete, the auto-updating of FTP and iLevels will not function.
At the end of the syncing process, you will see a notification in WKO4 confirming that your iLevels have been updated on your Garmin device.
- If you change FTP settings or add files while the Garmin unit is plugged into WKO4, changes will not be recognized until the next time you sync the Garmin.