All Garmin devices that support it can use and sync WKO5 individual power levels (iLevels), the newest metric for cyclists and triathletes who train with a power meter. To find out if your device supports iLevels, contact Garmin to determine whether the device supports nine power zones and whether the device reports mesg_num 9 and num_per_file 10 in the device.fit file.
To set up your Garmin to utilize Coggan iLevels:
- Make sure you're using the latest firmware for your device. (For example, if you're using an Edge 1000, you'll need 7.4 or newer; if you're using an Edge 520, you'll need 5.24 or newer.)
- Set the zones on your Garmin device to Coggan iLevels.
- Select Menu > My Stats > Training Zones > Power Zones> Based On > watts
- Select Menu > My Stats > Training Zones > Power Zones> Configuration > 9 Coggan iLevels
- Your FTP will be automatically set to your sFTP in WKO when you sync your Garmin with WKO.
To sync your device with WKO5:
- Open WKO5 on your computer.
- Plug in your Garmin device.
- Wait for your device to be recognized and ASSOCIATE YOUR GARMIN DEVICE WITH THE SELECTED ATHLETE. Please note, if you do not associate the device with the athlete, the auto-updating of FTP and iLevels will not function.
At the end of the syncing process, you will see a notification at the top of the WKO5 screen confirming that your iLevels have been updated on your Garmin device.
Note: If you change FTP settings or add files while the Garmin unit is plugged into WKO5, changes will not be recognized until the next time you sync the Garmin.