The TrainingPeaks Workout Builder allows athletes and coaches to quickly and easily create structured workouts based on distance or duration and intensity using power, heart rate, pace, or perceived exertion. These workouts will automatically calculate the target power, heart rate, or pace values when added to an athlete's calendar to adjust for changes in an athlete's threshold and zones settings, or when added to different athlete's in a coach's account. Once a structured workout is created it can be exported to be used on some devices and indoor trainer applications, sync to newer Garmin Devices through the Daily Workout IQ app, or synced to the Wahoo ELEMNT or ELEMNT BOLT.
Building a Structured Workout
- Add a new workout to the calendar or to a workout library
- Click on to open the Workout Builder
- Using the left drop-down menu, select if you would like the workout to be based on Duration or Distance (if Distance is selected you will then be able to choose Miles, Meters, Kilometers, or Yards)
- Using the right drop-down menu select how the intensity of the workout will be determined
- % Functional Threshold Power
- % Maximum Heart Rate
- % of Threshold Hear Rate
- % Threshold Speed (Pace)
- Rating of Perceived Exertion (0-10 scale)
- Begin building your workout by dragging the pre-made workout block templates from the upper part of the window to the Workout Builder Preview Pane. The are 8 blocks available
- Warm up - a steady state block of moderate intensity
- Active - similar to Warm up but with a higher default intensity
- Recovery - a shorter, low-intensity block meant to be used between interval sets
- Cool down - a low-intensity block meant to be used at the end of the workout
- Two Step Repeats
- Three Step Repeats
- Ramp Up
- Ramp Down
- Once a block is added to the preview it's duration or distance can be adjusted by clicking on the right edge of the block and dragging it horizontally in either direction. The intensity of each block can also be adjusted by clicking and dragging the top edge and dragging up or down.
- For Two and Three step repeat blocks - adjusting an interval within a block will adjust all of the corresponding intervals in that block
- The number of repeats can be adjusted by clicking the "+" or "-" button in the upper right corner of each block
- An entire block can be duplicated within the workout by clicking the double rectangle icon in the upper right corner of a block and dragging it to somewhere else in the workout
- The details of each block can also be viewed and manually edited below the preview pane in the "Workout Details Editor" section. In this section, the name of each block as well as notes for each interval or block can also be added (cadence targets, for example).
A workout built with the Workout Builder in a Coach's library can also be converted from one intensity to another. Please note, changing the intensity will update the current workout. If multiple workouts with the same structure need to be created for each of the intensity types, create a copy of the workout first, rename the workout and then change the prescribed intensity.
- As a workout is created, the duration (or distance), TSS, and IF will be automatically calculated and entered in the "Planned" details column.
- The minimum duration of any interval is 5 seconds, 0.01 miles or kilometers, or 10 meters or yards
- Written instructions (Workout Details) for the workout will be automatically generated under the "Post-Activity Comments" Section.
- When a structured workout is applied to an athlete's calendar the Workout Details will automatically calculate the prescribed heart rate or power targets and the target zone based on that athlete's current threshold and zones settings for that workout type. This means that an athlete can continue to use the same workout from their library as their threshold or zones settings change over time, and a coach can use the same workout for all of their athlete's without the need to calculate specific targets for each athlete.
- Structured workouts that were built with on the TrainingPeaks Classic site using the now retired Structured Workout Builder are designated with an "L" in the Workout Library and on the Workout Calendar Tile. These cannot be converted to the new Workout Builder format automatically, but the Workout Builder is available in these Legacy workouts to manually rebuild them based on the instructions in the workout.